Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Madama Butterfly - Vienna State Opera House

Last night I went the Vienna Opera to see Madama Butterfly, the final performance of the season. The Opera House is truly awe-inspiring, with the most decadent furnishings and space. My camera really couldn't quite capture the ambience created.
















I bought a standing ticket (Stehplatz) for 4 euros, for which I had a direct view of the stage but had to stand through the three acts. There are roughly 550 standing tickets sold every performance. You have to start queueing at roughly 5.30pm for an 8pm performance to get a ticket but it is well worth the effort (the only other tickets left were 210 euros).

The singer playing Pickington wasn't as strong as Madame Butterfly which was distracting but overall the performance was beautiful. I'm hoping to catch the last ballet performance next week for the same price, who said culture had to be expensive.

No comments: