Food & Water has been shared by a few groups within IIASA's research groups; Forestry, Ecology and Land Use Change. They reviewed current research activities and highlighted a few key challenges in this global problem area. These include:
- Widespread hunger and rising global food demands
- Agriculture needs to increase 70% globally and 100% in the developing world
- Agriculture currently uses 70% of all anthropogenic water use.
- Fishing currently feeds 1 billion people but won't be sustainable with the current overfishing
- A need for robust expansion of food and bioenergy production with sustainable regulating ecosystem functions protecting the global gene pool.
- Strategies for copying with climate change needs to be location specific.