Thursday, July 8, 2010

Intelligence plus character

"Intelligence plus character - that is the true goal of education "- Martin Luther King Jr

I was going back through some old notes in my work journal and came across this quote scrawled in the margin. I think it embodies the ultimate goals of a PhD and in part of the YSSP. We (the YSSPers) are here to broaden our horizons intellectually but the process is character-building, none of us are going to go home unchanged, each will be affected in some small to possibly profound way by this journey. Its going to be on
e hell of a ride!

The picture below was taken as the sun rose over IIASA. For those who know of my night owl tendencies this is a very rare sight, the office before 7am.

I'll leave you with another quote I find particularly apt at the moment: “Talent develops in tranquility, character in the full current of human life.” - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

No comments: